NY Cannabis Regulators Disclose How They Chose Licensees

The Cannabis Control Board last week granted the first 28 individual licenses

Retail cannabis applicants who lived in low-income areas, in public housing or were homeless when they were convicted of marijuana-related offenses had an advantage in the application process for legal cannabis dispensaries, according to details newly revealed in court papers.

As part of a motion filed last Tuesday in U.S. District Court in the New York Northern District by state Attorney General Letitia James’s office, the Office of Cannabis Management disclosed specifics about the process of awarding winners for the first set of retailers, whom the state intends to allow to sell legal pot and other cannabis products before the end of this year.

The Cannabis Control Board last week granted the first 28 individual licenses to experienced business owners who had had encounters with the justice system. A little more than half of the applicant score – 55% – had to do with the nature of the justice involvement. The other 45% of the score came from the applicant’s business history.

To Read The Rest Of This Article On Green Market Report, Click Here

Stay up-to-date!

Get all the news and info straight into your inbox that you need to help grow your business.

Marijuana Retail Report, is a national daily online trade publication serving retailers of marijuana products and accessories. News and information are geared strictly to select retail channels, with distribution limited to licensed collectives, recreational retailers, accessories retailers, and wholesalers.


Stay informed with the most up-to-date industry news to help you grow your business: subscribe to our newsletter below!

To Top